Membership and Benefits
Young Makers membership provides the following:
- Unique club webpage on youngmakers.org
- Support from the Maker Ed national program staff, including monthly live, online Hangouts for Q&A
- Access to a nationwide network of Young Makers clubs, Maker Ed partners and programs, and educationally-focused organizations and makerspaces.
- Promotion of and promotional materials from Maker Ed and Young Makers
- Possible free or reduced pricing for making-related products, as well as admission to end-of-season showcase events at local host institutions and partner organizations.
- Professional development training opportunities for mentors, parents, club managers, and regional coordinators. These sessions will be conducted as live Google+ Hangouts on specific dates, then recorded for later reference at any time. In specific regions, there may also be in-person training opportunities.
- Workshop guides, materials lists, and program suggestions.
- Online documentation of project ideas and projects created by youth
Clubs may register on the Affiliated Clubs Application.
At the minimum level, we expect that clubs will:
- Meet weekly or bi-weekly during the season, as needed.
- Encourage their members to join any and all club meetings and work sessions.
- Take part in at least one monthly regional meeting.
- Attend and exhibit the showcase event. Any projects are great for showing and telling, even if they’re not finished.
- Share documentation, portfolios, photos, videos, and blog posts with each other and with Maker Ed throughout the season, thus emphasizing the importance of the process of making.
Maker Ed expects that all Young Makers clubs will maintain and celebrate the mission and values of the program, while catering their program to best integrate and accommodate the youth and community’s interests. The Young Makers program provides a number of opportunities to encourage, support, and foster the community, projects, and learning, and past participants have confirmed that consistent participation leads to tremendous growth and wonderful relationships.